Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Luddites were a group of people located in and around London, England who believed that technology was being misused. This group protested in many memorable way, once they dressed up as women, in order to gain attention. Luddites were particularly violent, although they never really killed people, but they would break into factories and destroy machineries. The group wanted higher wages, better working conditions, and most of all equality. People part of the Luddites were living in filthy conditions, full of pollution and poverty. Throughout England the Luddites were a very controversial topic. The upperclass and artisans were in favor of the Luddites, while factory managers and business owners opposed them. Upper Class people came from money and had government jobs, so they didn't lose anything or gain anything. But the artisans made money by working at home and providing a service, which is now done in factories. These people lost their jobs and livelihood. The factory managers made more money than ever before, and business owners bought factory made goods at a lower price than ever before. This letter to the Luddites from a weaver will give a clearer view of one of these perspectives (Note this is a mock primary source).

To, The Luddite Commision
       I am a long time, skilled weaver outside of London. These factories within the city has affected my business considerably. I would join them but their wages are not high enough for me to even provide for myself, much less my family. I plead to you in this letter, to force these factories into paying a higher, decent wage. A year or two ago I was prosperous and could provide for my family graciously. Now I am struggling just to put food on the table every night. I've been a weaver for many years and I am skilled with my hands, but that not longer matters to the world. You are my last and only hope to end the suffering of my family and I. My sons want to go off and work in the factories to help, but the way they treat the children there is inhumane. The conditions in the factory is terrible, if starvation doesn't kill my children or I, those factories will. I am willing to help in anyway possible if that is what it takes. I have read in the paper of your most recent activities and would like to be a part of this movement. My family and I celebrate your victories in London, and the Luddites are what give us hope for a better future.

From, Weaver John       

No comments:

Post a Comment